Description of the Lawn Mower Exchange Program
The South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) is conducting a lawn mower exchange program for all residents of our 4-county jurisdiction. The program allows residents to turn in their working gasoline-powered lawn mower and purchase a new cordless rechargeable battery-electric mower at a discounted price. This year we will have 7 mower models available from three manufacturers. Only one mower exchange per residence. Mowers range in price from $100 to $250 with trade-in of a working gasoline powered mower. Quantities are limited and reservations will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis. A comparison of lawn mower specifications and pricing is available here. Please visit the manufacturer’s web sites for more information on the individual lawn mowers. Please decide on your preferred lawn mower make and price prior to registering for the program.
Who Is Eligible for the Lawn Mower Exchange?
- You must be a resident living within SCAQMD’s 4-county jurisdiction which includes all of Orange County and major portions of Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino counties. You will be asked to show proof of residency (driver’s license, utility bill, etc.) when you come to exchange your mower.
- You must turn in a working gasoline-powered mower.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must pre-register for one of the five exchange events and have the reservation form showing your reservation number for that event.
- At the exchange event, you may pay for your new electric lawn mower using cash, check, or credit card.
- There is a limit of one mower per residence.
How Do I Register?
You can register by clicking on the registration link. If you need assistance registering you may call SCAQMD at 888-425-6247 (Tuesday through Friday, 8 am to 5:00 pm) and an attendant will help you register
How Does the Exchange Event Work?
A total of 5 exchange locations (PDF, 201kb) have been scheduled. To participate, residents must pre-register. You will be given a registration number, and a specific time to arrive at your selected exchange location. This reduces traffic congestion, and allows for a quick orderly flow through the exchange process. Your reservation is only good for the day and location of the event for which you registered.
There will be staff at the event to unload your old mower and load your new mower into your vehicle. You will not have to get out of your car. It is a drive-thru event. The whole process from when you arrive to when you leave typically takes 30 minutes.
What Are The Air Quality Benefits of Exchanging Your Gas Mower?
Using a typical gas mower for one year can pollute as much as a car driven for 22,000 miles. All the gas mowers that are turned in for this program will be scrapped and the metal recycled.
2016 Lawn Mower Exchange Flyer (PDF, 1MB)
2016 Lawn Mower Exchange Flyer (Spanish) (PDF, 1MB)
Mower Comparison Chart (PDF, 239kb)
For information on Greenstation mowers, please contact them at 866-646-4652
or go to their website at http://thegreenstationproducts.com/aqmd.html
For information on Black&Decker mowers, please visit their website at http://www.blackanddecker.com/en-us/about/events.
For information on Ego mowers, please visit their website at http://egopowerplus.com/collections/power-mowers/products/20-inch-mower