The following information is intended to highlight specific aspects of the rule and serve as a guide for the allowance of Fire Training by the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) for Fire Protection Agencies. For details on specific requirements and limitations please refer to Rule 444 - Open Burning (PDF).
Use the following link to print this information:
Fire Training Outreach (PDF, 33kb)
What Must I Do Prior To Performing Fire Training?
Rule 444 Requirements for Open Burning of Structures for Fire Training:
- Fire prevention/suppression training involving the burning of existing structures must receive prior authorization from the SCAQMD for each day for each open burning event.
- Complete burning of existing structures for fire prevention/ suppression training exercises is prohibited.
- Each Fire Training exercise is limited to no more than 30 minutes duration.
- Obtain a Burn Authorization Number by calling 909-396-3403 prior to 4:00 p.m. the day before the burn.
- Although not required under the Rule 444, the SCAQMD respectfully requests that Training Burns are conducted on Burn Days only if at all possible.
Rule 1403 (PDF) contains requirements to prevent Asbestos Emissions from Demolition/Renovation Activities:
- To receive authorization for demolition/renovation activities, the fire department must submit proof to the SCAQMD that it has ensured that all Rule 1403 requirements have been met by submitting:
- A copy of the structure Asbestos Survey;
- Proof of asbestos removal;
- Proof of Demolition Notification to SCAQMD;
- Proof of Building & Safety demolition permit; and
- Coordinating with the demolition contractor/owner to remove the structure right after the training burn.
- Structures shall not remain on site as an attractive nuisance, unsafe or an eyesore.
- For additional information on asbestos emission call 909-396-2327.
When Can I Call SCAQMD (909-396-3403) to Obtain Authorization for Fire Training?
| Monday: ||8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. |
| Tuesday - Friday: || 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. |
| Saturday: || 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. |
If burning on Sunday or Monday, call before 4:00 p.m. on Saturday.
The standby person will return your phone call as soon as possible but no later than 5 p.m. the day you leave your message.
Training burns that involve more than 10 acres of vegetation require a Smoke Management Plan. We recommend that all Smoke Management Plans be submitted through the Prescribed Fire Information Reporting System (PFIRS).
See Rule 306 (PDF)- Plan Fees for the current fee associated with filing a Smoke Management Plan.