The following information is intended to highlight specific aspects of the rule and serve as a guide for the allowance of tumbleweed (Salsola Kali also known as Russian Thistle) burning by the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD). For details on specific requirements and limitations, please refer to Rule 444 - Open Burning
Use the following link to print this information:
Tumbleweed Outreach (PDF, 32kb)
What Must I Do Prior to Tumbleweed Burning?
- Request a Pre-Burn Inspection from the SCAQMD by calling (909-396-3403).
Obtain a written permit from the SCAQMD and obtain a written permit from your local Fire Protection Agency.
- Call the Burn Line (909-396-3403) and leave a message requesting a Burn Authorization Number prior to 4:00 p.m. the day before the burn. Burning is not allowed without first obtaining a Burn Authorization Number.
Information required to be left on the Burn Line:
SCAQMD BURN PERMIT NUMBER
LOCAL FIRE DEPARTMENT BURN PERMIT NUMBER
- Call your Local Fire Department the morning of your Burn (or as required) and request approval for your Burn.
What Can I Burn?
Only Tumbleweeds may be burned. No other material is allowed unless required by Fire Agencies through written notice.
What Are the Requirements for Tumbleweed Burning?
- Tumbleweeds shall be free of trash, dirt, soil and visible moisture.
- Open burning shall not begin earlier than one hour after sunrise, and is not allowed later than two hours before sunset. No new ignitions of fuels may be added to an existing fire any time after two hours before sunset. Exceptions to these requirements include authorization provided in an approved Burn Management Plan and when conducting approved field crop burning. These hours of open burning are subject to change as authorized in the approved SCAQMD burn permit issued. Typically, open burn permits issued by the SCAQMD are limited to the hours of 7:00 am to noon, to be consistent with local fire department requirements.
When Can I Call SCAQMD (909-396-3403) to Obtain Authorization for Tumbleweed Burning?
| Monday: ||8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. |
| Tuesday - Friday: || 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. |
| Saturday: || 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. |
If burning on Sunday or Monday, call before 4:00 p.m. on Saturday.
Our standby person will return your phone call as soon as possible but no later than 5 p.m. the day you leave your message.