Informational Conference Calls - Next call: Tues., Oct. 24, 2017
Informational conference calls on the air quality investigation in Paramount will be held on the fourth Tuesday of the month at 6:30 p.m. Individuals can call in via a toll-free phone number to listen to the informational update in English or Spanish. Questions can be submitted via email to email@example.com as the call is being conducted, and will be answered in the order they are received. The call will end after all questions have been answered. For more Information, contact the Public Advisor, 909-396-2432.
Listen-only call-in numbers:
- English: 866-244-8528, passcode: 4063768
- Spanish: 888-394-8197, passcode: 9891238
In 2013, the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) received a series of metallic odor complaints from local community members in Paramount. In response to these complaints, the SCAQMD staff began conducting an investigation into local sources of emissions, including initiating a local air sampling study. The purpose of these activities was to determine the source of emissions and potential air pollution control strategies. Ambient monitoring of toxic metal emissions began in 2013 at two sites on Vermont Avenue and California Avenue. Based on the monitoring results, there were two metals of concern: nickel and hexavalent chromium.
In 2014 and 2015, SCAQMD worked with Carlton Forge Works to reduce metal particulate emissions from its grinding operation. Carlton Forge Works implemented a number of voluntary measures that substantially reduced nickel levels. Since these measures did not reduce hexavalent chromium levels, the SCAQMD needed additional data to understand the source of these emissions. In October 2016, as part of its ongoing investigation to identify and address sources of hexavalent chromium that may be impacting the nearby communities, SCAQMD staff deployed several monitors in the mostly industrial areas of the City of Paramount. Initial results showed elevated levels of hexavalent chromium upwind of Carlton Forge Works. Results of monitoring efforts, SCAQMD Town Hall Meetings, air monitoring and public health reports, and other related information are posted on this website.
Potential Businesses with Metal-Related Operations in Paramount
Participating Agencies/Interagency Coordination
Los Angeles County Department of Public Health:
Please contact us at 1-800-CUT-SMOG or file a complaint online
, if you have information that can assist us in the investigation of sources of hexavalent chromium in the area. If desired, the information can be provided anonymously.
- New Law Enables Air Pollution Control Officers to More Quickly Halt Activities Alleged to Endanger Public Health - August 9, 2017 (PDF)
- Carlton Forge Works Agrees to Order to Reduce Potential for Creating Nuisance Odors - July 28, 2017 (PDF)
- SCAQMD Seeks Administrative Order to Curtail Hexavalent Chromium Emissions from Lubeco Inc. in Long Beach - July 26, 2017 (PDF)
- SCAQMD Seeks Administrative Order to Reduce Nuisance Odors from Carlton Forge Works in Paramount - July 11, 2017 - July 11, 2017 (PDF)
- Anaplex in Paramount Ordered to Temporarily Suspend Operations - June 27, 2017 (PDF)
- SCAQMD Seeks Administrative Order to Curtail Nuisance Odors - June 13, 2017 (PDF) (en español)
- SCAQMD Orders Aerocraft in Paramount to Temporarily Suspend Hexavalent Chromium-Related Operations - March 16, 2017
- SCAQMD Orders Aerocraft in Paramount to Temporarily Suspend Hexavalent Chromium-Related Operations - March 3, 2017
- Board Adopts Rule to Reduce Metal Particulate Emissions - March 3, 2017
- Aerocraft in Paramount Temporarily Suspends Hexavalent Chromium-Related Operations - February 14, 2017 (PDF) (en español)
- Anaplex in Paramount Temporarily Suspends Operations - February 3, 2017 (PDF) (en español)
- Aerocraft in Paramount Temporarily Suspends Operations - January 19, 2017 (PDF) (en español)
- SCAQMD Continues to Seek Enforceable Emissions Reductions from Anaplex Corp. in Paramount - December 23, 2016 (en español)
- SCAQMD Takes Enforcement Actions to Reduce Toxic Emissions from Two Facilities in Paramount - November 29, 2016 (en español)
- SCAQMD Intensifies Investigation of Potential Sources of Hexavalent Chromium Emissions in Paramount - November 4, 2016 (en español)
- Information Regarding Emissions from Carlton Forge Works - December 20, 2014
- SCAQMD to Host Public Meeting on Air Quality Issues Related to Carlton Forge Works - January 21, 2104