The South Coast AQMD is the smog control agency for all of Orange County and major portions of Los Angeles, San Bernardino and Riverside counties. The companies that have small boilers and large water heaters certified with the South Coast AQMD can be found on the Rule 1146.2 Certified Equipment List
Three Important Deadlines
- Effective January 1, 2002, all boilers in this size range should have been registered with AQMD.
If you have a boiler or water heater with a rated heat input of from 1 to 2 million Btu/hr, you should have submitted a "Rule 222 Application" by January 1, 2002. If you already submitted one, you do not need to renew it. But, if you have not already submitted a Rule 222 Application for your boiler, here's what you need to do:
There are no registration requirements for boilers smaller than 1 million Btu/hr.
- Complete Form 222-B (PDF) (one for each boiler)
- Mail application and check to: SCAQMD-- Rule 222-B Filings, P.O. Box 4944, Diamond Bar, CA 91765
- By January 1, 2005, all boilers in this size range must comply with Rule 1146.2.
Boilers/Water Heaters with rated heat input 1,000,000-2,000,000 Btu/hr manufactured between 1992-1999 must be replaced or modified to meet the requirements of Rule 1146.2
- By January 1, 2006, all boilers in this size range must comply with Rule 1146.2.
Boilers/Water Heaters with rated heat input 400,000-1,000,000 Btu/hr must be replaced or modified to meet the requirements of Rule 1146.2.
- Exemptions from the requirement to modify or replace boilers:
- Boilers burning less than 9,000 therms of gas per calendar year are exempt (you must be able to demonstrate therm usage with gas bills or, if necessary, a separate meter on the boiler).
- Residential dwellings designed for 4 or fewer families are exempt.
Questions? Help? Financing Assistance for Small Businesses?
Call our Small Business Assistance line 800-388-2121