Combustion Freight and Marine Projects Category
This category is intended to accelerate the replacement of older, higher polluting diesel engines, particularly in areas that are disproportionately impacted by air pollution, such as freight corridors, ports, and rail yards. Projects will be selected on a competitive basis.
There are $60 million in funds allocated to this category. The first installment of this funding will be $30 million.
The first installment of this category is now accepting applications until March 4, 2020 1:00 pm.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Copy of title (or proof of ownership for locomotive and marine)
- 24 Months of Vehicle Registration Documentation
- 24 Months of Vehicle Insurance Documentation
- Vendor Quote for vehicle / equipment / engine replacement / repower
- Existing and new vehicle / equipment / engine information
- Photos and documentation supporting vehicle / equipment / engine information
- 24 months of records showing odometer readings, hour meter readings, or fuel usage
- Six required Business Documents
For detailed vehicle / equipment application and supporting documentation checklists, see the Resources page.
Eligible Applicants and Projects
Both public and private entities that own and operate eligible vehicles or equipment in California may apply. Funding can be used to replace or repower vehicles/equipment/engines with the cleanest commercially available internal combustion or hybrid technologies, including:
- Replace / Repower
- Class 7 and 8 freight trucks including, waste haulers, dump trucks, and concrete mixers
- Freight switcher locomotives
- Repower Only
- Ferries / tugboats / towboats
Basic Project Requirements
- Ownership: Proof of ownership for at least two years.
- Operation: Operate old and new vehicle / equipment at least 90% of the time within California.
- Scrapping: Existing vehicle / equipment / engine must be scrapped.
- Certification: New vehicle / equipment / engine must be certified or verified by the U.S. EPA or CARB.
- Reporting: Applicants granted an award must submit annual usage reports for the term of the contract.
Eligibility and Funding Summary
|Baseline Equipment Category||Baseline Technology||Replacement Technology||Project Type||Ownership Category||Maximum Percentage (%) of Funding (of cost)||Maximum Funding Up To|
|Class 7 & 8 Freight Trucks (including waste haulers, dump trucks, concrete mixers)||Non-Drayage: Engine Model Years 2005-2012
Drayage: Engine Model Years 2007-2012
(certified 0.02 g/bhp-hr)
|Replacement||Non-Government||25% (or 50% for Class 8 Port Drayage)||$85,000|
|Freight Switcher Locomotives||Pre-Tier 1||Tier 4||Replacement||Non-Government||25%||$1,350,000|
|Ferry, tugboats, & towboats||Pre-Tier 3||Tier 4, or Hybrid w/ Tier 4 equivalent NOx emissions||Repower||Non-Government||40%||$1,000,000|