The PurpleAir PA-I sensor is an optical particle counter. Measurements of PM1.0, PM2.5 & PM10 mass concentrations are calculated from the counts.
Principle of Operation
PurpleAir PA-I uses PMS1003 laser particle counters where laser beams detect particles going past by their reflectivity. These sensors count suspended particles in sizes of 0.3, 0.5, 1.0, 2.5, 5.0 and 10um. These particle counts are processed by the sensor using a complex algorithm to calculate the PM1.0, PM2.5 & PM10 mass in ug/m3. PMS1003 sensors come factory calibrated.
- Dimensions: N/A
- Weight: N/A
- Battery: No
- Power supply: Yes (USB power adapter)
- Sensor lifetime: N/A
- Clock function: N/A
- Sampling mechanism: Fan
- Environmental operating conditions: N/A
- Internal data logging: No
- Data communication and logging: ESP8266 chip runs code developed using Arduino to upload data to a cloud
- Data visualization: PurpleAir Map or University of Utah's MesoWest Map
- Weatherproof: Yes
Developer's product webpage