Agricultural Burns

Agricultural Burns ImageThe following information is intended to highlight specific aspects of the rule and serve as a guide for the allowance of agricultural open burning by the South Coast Air Quality Management District (South Coast AQMD).  For details on specific requirements and limitations, please refer to Rule 444 - Open Burning (PDF). 

Use the following link to print this information:

Agricultural Outreach (PDF, 34kb)

What Must I Do Prior to Agricultural Open Burning?

  • Obtain approval for projects greater than 10 acres or that will produce more than one ton of particulate matter emissions by submitting a Burn Management Plan.

  • Request a Pre-Burn Inspection from the South Coast AQMD by calling (909-396-3403).

  • Obtain a written permit from the South Coast AQMD and obtain a written permit from your local Fire Protection Agency.

  • Find out if the next day is a Burn Day by calling 909-396-3355.  If the next day is a Burn Day, press 0, and leave a message requesting a Burn Authorization Number on the Burn Line prior to 4:00 p.m. the day before the burn.  Burning is not allowed without first obtaining a Burn Authorization Number.

  • Alternately, a Burn Authorization Number can be obtained by calling 909-396-3403 prior to 4:00 p.m. the day before the burn.

  • Call your Local Fire Department the morning of your Burn (or as required) and request approval for your Burn.

What Can I Burn?

  • Waste materials produced entirely from Agricultural Operations. 

    Click HERE for a list of allowable and non-allowable materials which may be burned.

What are the Requirements for Agricultural Burning?

  • Agricultural Waste must be more than 1000 feet away from sensitive receptor locations.

  • Only dry Agricultural Waste can be burned. 

  • All Agricultural Waste shall be free of trash, nonagricultural waste, dirt, soil and visible moisture.

  • Agricultural Field Crops (residue left in the field after harvesting grain or vegetable crops) shall not be burned before 10:00 a.m. or after 5:00 p.m.

  • Open burning shall not begin earlier than one hour after sunrise, and is not allowed later than two hours before sunset.  No new ignitions of fuels may be added to an existing fire any time after two hours before sunset.  Exceptions to these requirements include authorization provided in an approved Burn Management Plan and when conducting approved field crop burning.  These hours of open burning are subject to change as authorized in the approved South Coast AQMD burn permit issued.  Typically, open burn permits issued by the South Coast AQMD are limited to the hours of 7:00 am to noon, to be consistent with local fire department requirements.

When Can I Call South Coast AQMD (909-396-3403) to Obtain Authorization for Agricultural Burning?


8:00 a.m.  - 4:00 p.m. 

 Tuesday - Friday:     

 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.


 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

  • If burning on Sunday or Monday, call before 4:00 p.m. on Saturday.
  • Our standby person will return your phone call as soon as possible but no later than 5:00 p.m. the day you leave your message.

Case Studies:

Additional Information:

  • To request an Emergency Burn Plan for open burning as an emergency measure to protect crops from freezing, use the following form:

  • Fact Sheet from the United States Department of Agricultural Natural Resources Conservation Service USDA NRCSLink to external website.:

Treated Wood Stake Disposal (PDF, 719kb).

  • California Department of Toxic Substance Control DTSCLink to external website.:

Treated Wood Waste Information and Fact SheetsLink to external website.

 Updated 09/19/19

You may also like ...

More Information


  • Burn Line

  • 909-396-3403

  • Burn Day Information Line

  • 909-396-3355

Newsletter Sign Up
Periodic newsletter updates via Email on a variety of air quality-related topics

South Coast Air Quality Management District

21865 Copley Dr, Diamond Bar, CA 91765



© 2024 South Coast Air Quality Management District